Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Adios (North) America!

Soy en Santiago, Chile!

Chilean Lesson Uno:

Chileans are friendly, but never, ever pack nuts en tu mochilla.  Ever.  

Five steps from the airport exit and into the fresh mountain air, I am stopped by Chile's customs for smuggling goods into the country.  Drugs? Nunca.  What do I have?  Bulk almonds, walnuts, and craisins hand-packed in snack size ziplocs. 

Oh no.

Thirty minutes later I'm dripping sweat because I'm wearing my thick jacket as I thought I would be walking out into the Chile winter air within seconds.  But instead, I'm slumped in a chair pitting out as I'm signing my name to documents stating that I was harboring x ounces of misc. dried nuts.  According to Chilean law, my offense is a felony and punishable up to $4,500 American dollars.  I would be lieing if I said I wasn't panicking a little.  

However, the nice Chilean man smiled gently and carefully spoke English.  You understand?  This is a warning, but never do that again.  Chilean law.  

Si.  (I think I galloped out the doors-as much as I could with a suitcase, pack, bagpack, and a large purse-sans the nuts.)


I think more than ever, my quote on the right rings accurate.

Update: The next girl from our program was fined the minimum, $200 U.S. dineros, for an apple. Ouch.

No comments:

Post a Comment