Thursday, September 24, 2009

IC in Santiago.

Sometimes home is never too far away.

In the Barrio Bellavista neighborhood last night, after a more than amazing dinner of homemade pasta, fresh shellfish, top-rated vino and oh-so-good dessert, my roomies and I continued with our dinner guests to the Revolver promotion party two blocks away. Revolver is the online English language zine for Santiago's arts, culture and music scene. An hour before the quaque (Chile's national dance) competition began, I met a fellow Iowan, hailing from Iowa City. He's been living in Santiago for five years now, his time has included a stint at Santiago's English language newspaper, The Santiago Times. We talked briefly about journalism, the glory of Iowa City, and the Picador (?). Actually his first question was this, you're from Iowa City, do you go to the Picador? I suppose in some people's opinions, whether or not you go there is a clear indicator of one's character. That being said, I'm still not really sure what that says about me in the first minute of meeting. However, I think my attempt at dancing the quaque, a two-step foot pounding, cat-chasing-the-mouse, with a flailing scarf dance, from what I observed, said much, much more. I'm not sure if the Chilean that told Joe, my roommate, and I, "Son fantastico, really!!" was being truthful or playing an awful joke on our rough imitation.

Netherless, it's always nice to have reminders of home, especially now that I've officially been living in Santiago for a month! How times flies...

No comments:

Post a Comment