Sunday, November 1, 2009

Cont. from below.



I couldn't resist the hats and a few other crafts. So, I'll be buying another duffle in Argentina for my return because I'll have no other way to transport my swag back home. Peru is alive with colors--some of the most vivid yellows and pinks I've ever seen.

After the first market, we arrived at a llama, alpaca, vicuna farm, or in my opinion, tourist wool camp. Still, I enjoyed snapping fotos and feeding the extra eager fine wool machines. We finally visited our first ruin, the name of which I forgot, shortly after. I was in awe. It was so large and expansive. The perfectly formed rows of agriculture steps balanced nicely with the rich blue sky speckled with a few clouds--that was until the rain came, but in the moment, I didn't mind it at all. I think it created a nice overtone to the mystery and wonder of the Incan empire and its wake it left behind.

Hours later, after another ruin site, another market, lunch and trying, what I must point out, Alpaca meat, which really tastes and looks like a beef steak, the sun set and we loaded the train for Aguas Calientes via Peru Rail. If you had to name the worst touristy town in South America, Aguas Calientes would steal the bag without a contest, but it's a requirement to stay there the night before if you want to the catch the first bus ride up to Machu Picchu at 6 in the early a.m. I wanted to beat the rush, so we did with a 4:30 a.m. wake up call. Augh.

With mist surrounding the mountains on the ride up, I was sleepy, but electrified with anticipation for the wonder of Machu Picchu. Just as many say, this is a place of mystery that cannot be captured by camera, but rather experienced through its spiritual vibes. Whether an Incan prison or another village high in the mountains, the ruin is awe-inspiring and much larger than I imaged in my mind. Llamas roam the grassy the courtyards of yesteryear and cameras permanently affixed to people's faces outnumber public restrooms, which is zero, unfortunately I learned.

The highlight was the hike up Waynu Picchu, a steep and somewhat precarious climb up the neighboring mountain. At the top, you are rewarded with vistas of the site that put the expanse of its creation in a whole new perspective. One I hope I never forget, nor the feeling of tranquility I felt up on top.

After observing and walking around the ruins for six+ hours, I hiked down the dusty trail to Aguas Calientes for our train ride back to Cusco and onward to Puno, via a sketchy Peruvian night bus. Cont...

No comments:

Post a Comment